A 14-year-old boy has been charged after allegedly stabbing another teenager multiple times during a “nightmare” attack at a school in Sydney’s west.
Officers were called to Arthur Phillip High School in Parramatta on Monday morning following reports a 14-year-old boy had been stabbed.
“School staff immediately administered first aid to the injured student”, while police and paramedics raced to the scene, an Education Department spokesman said.
Police believe the boy was the victim of a “targeted attack”.
“Both families are in contact with and assisting police,” NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.
The accused attacker handed himself in to police on Monday night before he was charged with wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
He was refused bail and will appear in a children’s court on Tuesday.
The injured teen was rushed to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead with wounds in his arm and back, an NSW Ambulance spokesman said.
Helicopter footage from Channel 7 showed the boy being wheeled off the ambulance into the emergency ward at the hospital.
He was in a stable condition when he arrived there, NSW Ambulance Inspector Joe Ibrahim said.
“Our paramedics did an exceptional job in stabilising and providing treatment for the teenager who had suffered some pretty serious injuries,” Inspector Ibrahim said.
“It’s absolutely horrific when we respond to jobs like these especially when it involves someone so young. It’s every parent’s worst nightmare.
“The big concern is that while the injuries may not look substantial on the surface, there can be more significant damage done at a deeper level.”
On Monday NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian described the incident as “horrific”.
“Schools should be at all times a safe place for our students. I’m confident police and the school community will get to the bottom of what happened,” she told reporters.
The school was put into lockdown immediately but classes has resumed by 10am.